My sister has suffered through many stomach issues that kept her awake all night, kept her miserable, and couldn’t be figured out. Recently, she decided to go vegan, and those stomach issues she suffered through for years had diminished almost immediately.
Her birthday was March 13th, and mind-you, the rest of our family outside she and I have no real inclination of eating healthy, let-alone some “strange fad diet” like going vegan. When my mother declared that she would just get a cake everyone else could eat and my sister was on her own, I had to do something.
I made her vegan cupcakes.
These are, by no means, low-cal. BUT they are 100% vegan, and my sister, her kids, and also myself LOVED THEM. They were insanely easy.
This mixture made 16 cupcakes at 350 calories per.
Ingredients for Cupcakes:
- 1 cup non-dairy milk – 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup vegan butter (such as Earth Balance), softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- rainbow sprinkles (to add to batter and then also for topping at the end)
Ingredients for Frosting:
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, softened
- 2 1/2-3 cups of powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Splash of non-dairy milk
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees & put your cupcake liners in the muffin pan
- In a measuring cup, pour your milk and then add the lemon juice. Set this aside.
- Add butter to large mixing bowl and cream it using a mixer. Add sugar, then vanilla, and beat until combined and fluffy – roughly 2 mins.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add 1 cup flour, baking soda, baking powder, then salt, and finally the remaining 1/2 cup flour.
- Alternate adding the dry ingredients and the milk mixture to the large mixing bowl and blend it well – until no lumps remain.
- Add sprinkles into the mix and gently fold them into the batter with a spatula.
- Divide the batter evenly into the cupcake liners. I filled mine up a little more than others when I made them, but the ones that were filled about 75% came out the best, I found.
- Bake on center rack for between 20-25 mins, or until the toothpick comes out clean.
- Let them cool while you prepare the frosting.
- In a mixing bowl, add softened butter and beat until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and mix once more.
- Add the powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time and continue mixing until smooth and creamy. Drizzle in just a splash of the non-dairy milk to it, but you truly want/need this frosting to be thick, so don’t add too much.
- Once the cupcakes are cooled, frost them as you please, and then drizzle sprinkles on top! Then.. ENJOY!